Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top 10 characters of all time

What makes a good story? Great characters. Characters we're drawn to. Characters that we relate to, or characters we wish to be. Here are my top 10 favorite characters. Again, this is my opinion, so if you don't like what you see, go bitch to your mom or something.

10. SPEEDY/ROY HARPER

Speedy is so far my favorite superhero sidekick. He was raised by Navajo Indians, and became a master archer.  My favorite storylines involving speedy is the time he became a Heroin addict, and the time he lost his arm. Speedy for the most part is a tragic character, but he's got great friends to help him through it. And like most superheroes, he's unrealistically good looking.


9. GREEN LANTERN/HAL JORDAN


At one point in time, I was obsessed with Hal Jordan. For a brief moment, he was my favorite superhero, but then the movie came out, and I remembered Superman will always be my number one guy. But I will always have a soft spot for Green Lantern. Anyways, Hal Jordan is the second Green Lantern, and arguably the best. I know that Hal is kind of lame compared to the black John Stewart and the gay Allan Scott, but Hal Jordan is my favorite Green Lantern. Either him, or the talking squirrel.

8. CINDERELLA



I loves me a good Fairy Tale, and the best Fairy Tale ever is Cinderella, the story that has it's own version in every single country. Cinderella is many things. She's black, she's white. She's good, she's bad. She's light, she's dark. She's g rated movie, she's XXX movie. She's feminist, she's old fashioned. And how could she be so many things at once? Because there's so many versions of her story. You can make Cinderella whatever you want her to be. Don't like the time she leaves the ball? make it 3 AM. Don't like the rushed romance? Make her independent and not want to marry the prince. A great character is one you can make up.

7.  PHOEBE BUFFAY



Phoebe Buffay is my favorite character from Friends. Most people like Chandler or Rachel, but not me. I love me some Phoebe. She's a a character I don't see in most sitcoms these days. Hey, How I Met Your Mother. Where's your loony eccentric friend character? Don't have one? How about you, Big Bang Theory? No? Just a group of nerds and one hot girl? All, right. Your missing out, I guess. Anyways, Phoebe's backstory is this. When she was a little girl, her mom killed herself, and her stepdad went to prison, so Phoebe had to live in the streets, unlike her twin sister Ursula, who was probably put in a foster home. After a disappointing childhood and some tough teenaged years, Ursula found a road to Aroma therapy and became roommates with Monica, who's brother is Ross, who is in love with Rachel.  Across the street from them is Joey, who is roommates with Chandler, who will soon marry Monica. Yeah, it's all a big circle.  One interesting thing is Actress Lisa Kudrow was doing two sitcoms at the time. She was starring in Friends, and played a side character in Mad About You, two NBC shows that were next to each other on the time block. So, the show writers decided to make the two characters twin sisters. And that's how Phoebe and Ursula became twin sisters.  

6. HANNA MARIN



Filling out 6 spot is another ditzy blonde. Hanna Marin from ABC Family's only good show, Pretty Little Liars. Hanna is the funniest, and saddest character in the show and books. In her early teens, her mom and dad got a divorce, causing her to eat her feelings out. She gained several pounds, and her "friend" Alison Dilaurentis coined the nickname "Hefty Hanna" When the girls were young, Hanna was often the butt of Ali's every joke. But when Ali disappeared, she became friends with a girl Ali used to bully and became the school's popular girl. She lost some pounds and gained some confidence. What I like about Hanna is that she's the funny girl of the group. She's always the one who says the funny zingers and one liners.

5. SPYRO THE DRAGON



Do I like Skylanders? Yes. Do I like Spyro's "not main character" role in Skylanders? No. Do I hate Spyro's new messed up, disgusting, ugly design? It's debatable. Do I love Spyro and all of the Spyro games, even the bad ones? Hell yeah!!! Spyro is my favorite video game character ever. Period. If I had to save one video game franchise in an ocean full of overrated Pokemon games and stupid, violent M rated games, I'd choose Spyro the Dragon. We can all learn a lesson from Spyro. Spyro is a tiny dragon, yet manages to save an entire race of dragons. He's also got a really cool dragonfly sidekick called Sparx, who is the best video game sidekick ever. So hopefully someday, I will see a Spyro video game similar to the old one.

4. SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS



Spongebob is my childhood Idol. I grew up on Spongebob, and when I have kids, they will too. What I love about Spongebob is that no matter what, he's an Optimist. Even though he has a horrible job and a nasty next door neighbor, he looks at it like a blessing. I'd kill myself before I become a loser who permanently works at a restaurant, but Spongebob sees it as the best job ever. The best Spongebob episodes are always the ones that came out in the early 2000's. The new ones kinda suck, and seems like it was made for the brain dead generation of the 2010's. The main reason is that after the first Spongebob movie, The original crew left and was replaced by a new set of writers. Probably a bad idea. But no matter what,  Spongebob is cartoon royalty.

3. GODZILLA



Godzilla, like Spongebob was only good in the beginning. the movies that came afterwards range from bad to mediocre. But aside from that, Godzilla, King of the Monsters is one of my favorite classic monster movies, and Godzilla, is my favorite giant monster ever. What I love about him is that he's a cautionary tale of Nuclear destruction. Godzilla was once a deep sea cave dwelling dinosaur of a certain species, but concentrated levels of Nuclear radiation mutated him into a atomic ray breathing behemoth. Godzilla is also a tragic character. In the beginning, Godzilla is an animal deformed by a human creation, and in the ending, He's destroyed by another human made weapon. It shows how humans can really ruin the life of another species. Now that's deep.

2. RAPUNZEL



I have been in love with the Rapunzel Fairy Tale for a long time. I love it so much, I remember the time I first read it. Cinderella might be the best fairy tale, but Rapunzel is the one I hold dearest to my heart. And then when Disney made Tangled, I only loved her more. In Tangled, Rapunzel is spiced up a bit, turning her from a Damsel in distress into a quirky, rebellious teenager.  When Rapunzel was a baby, she was a princess. Her hair is golden blonde because of a magic flower her mother drank to heal herself. But the witch who was previously using it kidnaps her and places her in a high tower hidden inside a valley. As she gets older, she gets more rebellious and fascinated by the outside world, especially the mysterious floating lights that appear on her birthday every year.

1. SUPERMAN





So, I sleep in a bunk bed. I sleep in the bottom bunk, and the one who occupies the top bunk is a life sized Superman doll I got for Christmas. That's how much I love the Man of Steel, and I mean Superman. Not the movie. That movie sucked. Superman will always be my favorite. In an ocean full of Batmans and Avengers, The big fish I caught has an S-shield on it. I've watched every single Superman movie, watched Superman: The Animated Series, and bought Super Scribblenauts for Superman's sake. What I like about Superman is how he truly is alone. Now, anyone can be Batman or Spider-man, but Superman isn't someone you can be, he's someone you could only dream to be. And unlike Batman, who claims he works alone, when he has a dozen sidekicks, Superman truly is alone. Aside from Supergirl and Superdog, Kal-El is by himself. Another thing I like about Supes is that he doesn't wear a mask, so that people can see he's just one of them, instead of being shrouded by mystery, like all the superhero movies that came out in the early 2000's. Superman truly is my favorite superhero and character of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment